The personal trainer whose stabbing last year during a confrontation with his roommate was the subject of an Examiner piece last week has come forward with his side of the story.
The attempted murder case involving suspect 43-year-old Octavio Meza was notable, not just because of the seriousness of the charges, but also because his case had already gone to trial once without a verdict.
A jury in April deadlocked 11-1 in favor of acquitting Meza of stabbing Jason Lindsey, who defense attorneys claimed was a much larger man than Meza with a mixed-martial arts background and who instigated the fight, they said.
Not so, says Lindsey.
Lindsey maintained in an email that he had come to the defense of one of Meza’s children when he was “attacked from behind by a drunken idiot” with a 13-inch carving knife.
“After he got beat up while trying to kill me, I was on the phone calling 911,” Lindsey said.
Meza’s attorney insisted that his client had been bullied for months by Lindsey, and that the stabbing was “mutual combat.” Both men were hospitalized for injuries.
In lieu of a second trial Meza pleaded guilty on June 27 to misdemeanor assault.
Lindsey was furious at the resolution, saying Meza belongs in prison.
Meza’s attorney “knew if he could fight it out long enough, our weak justice system would give up, because they don’t have the resources to fight a long battle,” Lindsey said.
The court system’s resources are indeed strained. How much that played a role in the result of the case remains uncertain.