A home that went up in smoke Wednesday afternoon in an unincorporated area of Burlingame might have been caused by kids lighting off illegal fireworks nearby, witnesses said.
Jacqui Legos, 24, was baby-sitting three children at the house next door to 140 Los Robles Drive when she said she heard boys playing with fireworks.
Central County Fire in San Mateo County responded to the two-alarm blaze around 3:30 p.m. Fire Marshall Rocque Wyballa confirmed that the blaze, which sent plumes of smoke into the air, was associated with illegal fireworks.
“We do know that illegal fireworks were being played with right before the fire,” Wyballa said. “But we won’t know the exact cause until investigators take a look.”
Wyballa said his agency is conducting an investigation with Cal Fire and the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office.
Portions of the home collapsed as firefighters worked to put out the blaze. The interior was fully engulfed, witnesses said.
Fire damage was not immediately known, but no injuries were reported as of press time. Neighbors reported that one boy was in the house at the time of the fire, but he is said to have left safely.
Legos said as many as two boys were hiding in the bushes, laughing.
“I heard their voices,” she said. “I was screaming for them to stop; they just laughed.”
The bushes the boys were said to be hiding in did not appear to be burned.
Possession of fireworks is illegal in unincorporated areas of the county.
Examiner Staff Writer Mike Koozmin contributed to this report.