A fake friar facing fire for allegedly fondling a Daly City boy will have his day in court.
After months of court delays, the jury trial for 74-year-old Anthony Thomas Falco was set for April 11 after a San Mateo County judge on Tuesday denied requests from the defense and prosecution to postpone the aging case.
Judge Lisa Novak said the case “was getting too old,” San Mateo District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said Wednesday.
Falco is accused of posing as a friar, calling himself “Brother Tom,” while molesting a teenager at a friend’s Daly City home. A family friend of the boy used a Google search to learn of Falco’s seedy past, authorities said.
A Daly City detective said Falco fondled the boy during three separate visits to the home between 2008 and February last year.
Falco’s fake friar act was found to be a farce when the family friend’s Google search unearthed that he was wanted in Minnesota for “failure to register” as a sex offender, prosecutors said. The family friend contacted authorities in Minnesota, who then called Daly City police.
Falco was convicted a decade ago of molesting a 15-year-old Aptos boy on a church trip in Bosnia. During the late 1990s, he had reportedly tricked Catholics in Santa Cruz County into believing he belonged to a New York state brotherhood of monks. That brotherhood did not exist.
A Daly City detective investigated and learned the boy had been molested 12 times while he was 13 years old and six times at 14, prosecutors said.
Meanwhile, Falco remains in custody on $1.6 million bail.