A restaurant worker at the Nordstrom’s Café at Stonestown Galleria Mall in San Francisco was diagnosed with typhoid fever, and health officials are worried customers may have been exposed to the disease.
The employee was diagnosed with the infectious disease last month and is believed to have contracted it when traveling outside the country.
Because typhoid fever is transferred via food or drink, public health officials are warning customers who ate at the café on April 16, 17, 18, 20 or 27 to seek medical care if they start experiencing fever, weakness, stomach pains, headache, nausea, vomiting diarrhea or loss of appetite because they could be at risk. Symptoms usually begin within eight to 14 days of exposure.
Typhoid fever is caused by bacterium salmonella enterica serotype Typhi. Though it is uncommon in the United States, it can be severe or life threatening, according to health officials.