Seven people and a business were displaced this afternoon by kitchen fire that broke out in an apartment in San Francisco's Bayview District, a fire department spokeswoman said.
Firefighters went to a two-story building at 4526 Third St. at about 1:25 p.m. when roofers working on a nearby building called to report flames and smoke coming out of an apartment on the second level, San Francisco fire Lt. Mindy Talmadge said.
A child had apparently thrown hot food from a stove into the garbage, which subsequently ignited, Talmadge said.
Two adults and two children in the apartment escaped the flames by climbing out a window onto a roof, Talmadge said.
Responding firefighters were able to send ladders up to the roof and they were all brought down safely, Talmadge said.
No one was injured and the fire was contained in about 4 minutes.
Most of the damage was contained to the apartment where the fire started, although smoke and fire damage prevented all the building's occupants from being able to return.
Four adults, three children and a bakery business on the ground floor were temporarily displaced.
The fire caused an estimated $285,000 in damage, Talmadge said.