Samsung VP promotes e-waste events at SF schools 

Ana Hunter, vice president of Samsung helped coordinate 10 e-waste recycling events at San Francisco Unified School District campuses that will take place through March 27. The company will make a donation to the district’s free and reduced-price lunch program in the amount of the value of the recycled electronics.

How often do you think people recycle electronics?

Not as often as they should.

Why hold recycling events at school sites?

The San Francisco Unified school program is part of the overall Samsung Recycling Direct program. To date, Samsung has safely recycled more than 10,334,749 pounds of electronics.

If residents can’t recycle at the events, what should they do?

Residents can go online to Samsung’s Web site and click on Samsung Recycling Direct to find the nearest e-waste recycler.

What’s a common myth about e-waste?

One of the most common myths ... is how the products are disposed of. Samsung makes a point of partnering with respected take-back and recycling companies that do not incinerate, send to solid-waste landfills or export toxic waste to developing countries.

How much e-waste do you think a single person produces a year?

While statistics ... aren’t readily available, the EPA estimates that only 18 percent of TVs, cell phones and computer products are properly recycled. The other 82 percent is discarded into our nation’s landfills.

About The Author

Kamala Kelkar

Pin It
Favorite

Speaking of Local, three Minute Interview

Friday, Dec 9, 2016

Videos

Most Popular Stories

© 2016 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation