The commute home Thursday went off without a hitch despite rumors that BART service could be disrupted.
The transit agency had issued a warning earlier in the day to alert passengers of a potential protest at the Civic Center station that was set to begin at 5 p.m. If the disruption occurred, officials warned stations may need to be closed on short notice.
But the disruptions never came.
BART officials had learned of the possible protest after a post on the website No Justice, No BART calling for a silent disruption from 4 to 8 p.m. The post was quickly removed.
BART officials, however, took the threat seriously and increased police presence at the Civic Center station in preparation for such activity.
Following a July protest by activists over the shooting of transient Charles Hill that shuttered three San Francisco stations during the evening commute, BART officials had said they would not tolerate future protests.
Hill was shot by BART police July 3. People also are still upset about the officer-involved shooting that killed Oscar Grant III at Oakland’s Fruitvale station on New Year’s Day 2009.
In anticipation of the protest, Muni officials also halted the Powell-Hyde Street cable car. Service to that line was restored by 6:30 p.m.
Hundreds of BART officers did show up just in case. One officer at the Civic Center station said the protest was an “epic fail.”
Bay City News contributed to this report.