Edwin Ramos faces life in prison for slaying a father and two of his sons nearly four years ago.
A San Francisco jury returned guilty verdicts on three first-degree murder counts Wednesday, even though it could not unanimously decide whether Ramos was the gunman.
“Some people thought that he was the shooter, and some people thought that he was not the shooter,” said a juror who asked not to be identified. The judge, however, instructed the jury that Ramos could be found guilty under a theory of aiding and abetting the crime.
“We tried our best to follow the law, and how the law was written in the instructions,” the juror said. “Our decision was based on that.”
Ramos faces life in prison without the possibility of parole when he is sentenced June 4. He wept after the verdicts.
Anthony Bologna, 48, and his sons Michael, 20, and Matthew, 16, were shot dead as they were driving home from a family picnic June 22, 2008. The only witness was surviving son Andrew, who was 18 at the time.
He identified Ramos as the thug who gave his father a “mean look” before opening fire from the driver’s seat of his Chrysler 300.
The Bolognas were supposedly mistaken for rival gang members. Ramos, who claimed during the trial that he was no longer an MS-13 gang member at the time of the shooting, and that a second suspect who remains at large was hell-bent on revenge after the shooting death of a fellow gang member earlier that day in the Mission district.
Ramos maintained through the trial that he was only the driver, and front passenger Wilfredo “Flaco” Reyes, also believed to be an MS-13 member, fired on the Bolognas.
The juror said the jury was clear from the start of its deliberations that Ramos was “still associated with the gang,” but split on whether he was the gunman.
The Bologna family hugged, sobbed and cheered outside the courtroom after the verdict was announced. Many wore T-shirts with the words, “Finally justice is served!”
“While it only took a few moments for my husband and two sons to be murdered, my family waited nearly four years for this day,” Danielle Bologna said in a statement.
Lena Bologna, Anthony’s mother, said the verdict won’t bring back her son and grandsons, but “helps a little.”