Police release list of arrests from 4/20 celebration 

As the 4/20 celebration goes up in smoke, police have released the list of arrests and incidents associated with the mostly peaceful event.

Police made a total of 10 arrests, four of which for possession and sale of marijuana. There were two arrests related to possession of opiates and opiates for sale, police said.

There was a warrant arrest, a person arrested for malicious mischief and two arrests for possession of a loaded firearm, one of which also was booked on charges of being a parolee with a loaded firearm and in possession of hashish.

Three people were cited, one for having an open container and resisting police, another for a sit-lie law violation and another for peddling without a permit.

Park rangers issued 10 citations, police said, for infractions that included vending, barbecuing and amplified sound.

Four people needed medical attention during the festivities. One person suffered a seizure at Alvord Lake near Haight and Stanyan streets, police said. A 16-year-old was treated medically at Hippie Hill for an unknown condition. A 20-year-old was treated for intoxication and overdose near the Sharon Arts building and another person sustained an abrasion injury near Haight and Ashbury streets, police said.

Late Sunday there was word that shots had been fired in the park but police said there was no evidence or injuries reported to support that allegation.

Police had warned last week that they wouldn't tolerate overtly offensive or obnoxious behavior during the celebration.

The biggest problem for The City the celebration has caused is the cleanup of the tons of trash revelers have left behind.

Last year's celebration attracted about 15,000 people who left a mess that took about $10,000 to clean up, city officials said.

Despite estimated crowds of about the same size this year, the park was left in better condition than last year, though it was still "heavily impacted," San Francisco Recreation and Park Department spokeswoman Connie Chan said.

She said the city took a more proactive approach in managing the event this year. Though it remains unpermitted, the city put out trash bins and sent a crew of 20 workers out Sunday evening to begin cleanup work.

Cleanup crews have been back in the park since 6 a.m. today and Chan said that they expected to complete work around noon. Primarily the mess consisted of trash left behind, but she said some people dumped barbecue coals out, damaging the grass.

Chan did not yet have an estimate for the cleanup costs this year.

Bay City News contributed to this report.

Pin It

Latest in Crime & Courts

Monday, Oct 24, 2016


Most Popular Stories

© 2016 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation