Pedestrian killed on Van Ness avenue identified 

A pedestrian who was struck and killed by a car on San Francisco's Van Ness Avenue early Wednesday has been identified by the medical examiner's office as 35-year-old Paul Lambert.

Lambert, a San Francisco resident, was struck at about 12:55 a.m. Wednesday near Van Ness and Pacific avenues.

He was crossing Van Ness mid-block and outside of a crosswalk when a car allegedly driven by 27-year-old Mageb Hussain struck him, police spokesman Officer Gordon Shyy said.

Lambert was pronounced dead at the scene, and Hussain allegedly tried to walk away from the crash site afterward, Shyy said.

However, witnesses pointed him out to responding officers and he was taken into custody on suspicion of felony vehicular manslaughter and felony hit-and-run, Shyy said.

Shyy said speed appears to have been a factor in the crash, which remains under investigation. The pedestrian death was San Francisco's third of 2014. Twenty-one such deaths were reported in the city last year.

Walk San Francisco, a pedestrian advocacy group, met this morning with community members and some of the victims' families to honor their lives and discuss pedestrian safety.

About The Author

Bay City News

Pin It

More by Bay City News

Latest in Crime & Courts

Friday, Oct 28, 2016


Most Popular Stories

© 2016 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation