Giants third baseman Pablo Sandoval will not face charges in connection to allegations that he sexually assaulted a 21-year-old woman in Aptos last month, the Santa Cruz County District Attorney’s Office announced Monday.
The woman told authorities that Sandoval, 25, had assaulted her at a beach resort.
The announcement follows a similar statement last week by the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Office that its own independent investigation had not revealed enough evidence to warrant arresting Sandoval.
On Monday, after reviewing the Sheriff’s Office’s investigation, the District Attorney’s Office announced it agreed there was not enough evidence to file charges or arrest Sandoval.
“Nothing from the physical evidence and other witnesses helped corroborate her story,” said Deputy District Attorney Bob Lee. “All evidence that might be relevant to the contested issues of force and lack of consent is simply inconclusive.”
Lee also mentioned that the “nature and number of the complainant’s inconsistencies” led his office to the decision not to charge Sandoval.
The woman had filed a complaint against Sandoval at 4:25 a.m. June 1. She said she had met a group of people in downtown Santa Cruz the previous night, then gone to the resort, according to the Sheriff’s Office.
An employee at the Motiv restaurant and bar at 1209 Pacific Ave. in Santa Cruz said Sandoval was there that night.