Investigators say there isn’t enough evidence to arrest Giants All-Star third baseman Pablo Sandoval in connection with an alleged sexual assault at an Aptos resort, the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Office said Thursday.
The Wednesday finding followed a “thorough” investigation into a 21-year-old woman’s claim that on June 1, Sandoval had attacked her at the Seascape Beach Resort after a night out in nearby downtown Santa Cruz.
Investigators conducted “interviews and collected biological and physical evidence, some of which was analyzed by the California Department of Justice.”
“The Sheriff’s Office determined there is insufficient evidence to support an arrest for the alleged crime,” Deputy April Skalland said.
However, the District Attorney’s Office said Thursday it is reviewing the Sheriff’s Office findings and had yet to make a decision on possible charges.
The Santa Clara County woman, who has not been identified, claimed she met with a group that included Sandoval, 25, in downtown Santa Cruz the night of May 31. They later went to the Aptos resort. About 4:25 a.m., deputies said, the woman filed a complaint saying she had been sexually assaulted by Sandoval.
Sandoval’s attorney, Eric Geffon, called his client’s sexual encounter with the woman “consensual” and said Sandoval was pleased with investigators’ findings.
“He’s ready to start the second half of the season,” the attorney said. “He’s ready for a playoff run.”
Deputies had interviewed Sandoval at the resort. The ballplayer reportedly was cooperative with the investigation.
At the time of the alleged attack, Sandoval was on the disabled list with a broken bone in his left hand. During rehabilitation, he was assigned to play for the San Jose Giants minor league team.