At least one member of the agency responsible for putting on the city’s annual July Fourth fireworks is trying to get the show back in the air before Independence Day.
The Peninsula Celebration Association, which has organized Redwood City’s July Fourth celebration since 1939, last week pulled the plug on this year’s fireworks. But former PCA President Paul Sanfilipo is talking with city officials in an effort to bring them back.
"PCA is still working with the city," Sanfilipo said. "If it happens, Seaport Boulevard would be closed to general traffic, mainly because of traffic and the rowdiness of the people."
PCA President Robert Slusser cited problems with safety, security and traffic as reasons why this year’s fireworks show would be canceled.
Mayor Barbara Pierce confirmed Sanfilipo is working with local police and fire officials but said it’s too soon to tell whether they’ll make their comeback this year.
Meanwhile, Yolanda Russell, coach for the baton-toting Redwood City Twirlers, is still reeling from the news that her group has been banned from the July Fourth parade after 18 years, reportedly because their troupe’s pace causes gaps in the procession. She is giving herself until Tuesday to decide whether to accept PCA’s offer of a spot on the festival stage.