Alt-folk singer Michelle Shocked, who was popular in the 1980s and early ‘90s, appears to have gone on an anti-gay tirade Sunday during a show at Yoshi’s San Francisco.
She reportedly told the crowd that it could post on Twitter that she thinks “God hates fags” -- although there has some debate as to whether or not she was being ironic, especially since she has been a noted voice for progressive causes.
However, Shocked spoke about her “devout” Christianity in 2008 and said on Sunday that she “lives in fear that the world will be destroyed if gays are allowed to marry,” according to the website Queerty. SFist also reported that she is part of a conservative Pentecostal church in L.A.
Matt Penfield was live-tweeting the show and said, “Hate speech was excruciating. 2nd set became a hostage situation—luckily we could all leave,” and that the show was “super anti-gay and hateful.” Most of the audience reportedly split. No one at the show seemed to be in on the joke--if there was one--and about 3:30 a.m. Monday, Shocked tweeted, "Truth is leading to painful confrontation."
- The Web was abuzz Monday about how the guy who plays Satan in the History Channel’s documentary “The Bible” supposedly looks like President Barack Obama.
- “Twilight” author Stephenie Meyer told London’s Sunday Times that Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart’s fame has been “tragic” for them.
- Gossip singer Beth Ditto was arrested outside a Portland bar for disorderly conduct on Saturday night.
- David Hasselhoff joined in on a demonstration in Berlin to preserve a portion of the Berlin Wall that was marked for removal.
- The Jodi Arias murder case will indeed be made into a Lifetime Movie, but you already knew that.
- Actor Craig Lamar Traylor (“Dance Fu”) is 24.
- Actress Josie Loren (“Make It Or Break It”) is 26.
- Actor Jorma Taccone (“The Lonely Island”) is 36.
- Actress Rachel Blanchard (“Road Trip”) is 37.
- Actor Jake Weber (“Dawn of the Dead”) is 49.
- Actor Bruce Willis (“A Good Day To Die Hard”) is 58.
- Movie mogul Harvey Weinstein is 61.
- Actress Glenn Close (“Damages”) is 66.
- Actress Ursula Andress (“Dr. No”) is 77.
- Singer Ruth Pointer of the Pointer Sisters is 67.