Mia Sagote convicted of burning woman to death in San Francisco 

click to enlarge Mia Sagote was convicted Tuesday of burning to death a 49-year-old homeless woman. - GETTY IMAGES FILE PHOTO | CLIP ART
  • Getty Images file photo | Clip art
  • Mia Sagote was convicted Tuesday of burning to death a 49-year-old homeless woman.

Mia Sagote, 36, was convicted Tuesday of burning to death a 49-year-old homeless woman at Candlestick Park more than six years ago.

A jury took just four hours to find Sagote guilty on all counts for the savage murder of Jill May on Jan. 12, 2007.

The day before May was burned alive, prosecutors said, she was stripped naked and robbed by Sagote and accomplice Leslie Siliga for owing them money. Police later found May and filed a robbery report.

Sagote reportedly found out that police had been notified of the incident, and so the next morning she picked up Siliga in Daly City and headed for the Tenderloin, which May was known to frequent. They picked up May and drove to Candlestick Park, stopping to buy a canister of gas. At the stadium, Sagote drenched May in gasoline before setting her on fire.

During the trial's closing arguments, prosecutor Michael Swart said Sagote killed May in order to protect her drug-dealing and loan-sharking operation from snitches.

Siliga, 27, is currently serving a sentence of more than 14 years in prison after striking a deal with prosecutors over her role in the murder.

"To burn a human alive is a violation of every principal in our modern society," said District Attorney George Gascón.

Pin It
Favorite

Latest in Crime & Courts

Wednesday, Dec 7, 2016

Videos

Most Popular Stories

© 2016 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation