A man accused of driving his car into a Muni tunnel last month pleaded no contest Thursday to DUI charges, prosecutors said Friday.
Scott Mitchell, 40, of Sebastopol, was arrested on Jan. 19 after allegedly entering the Muni tunnel near Church and Duboce streets that morning, according to police.
The incident shut down underground Muni service through the tunnel for much of the morning.
Mitchell had initially pleaded not guilty to DUI charges, which included a special allegation that his blood alcohol level was above 0.15, which is nearly twice the legal limit.
However, he changed his plea to no contest at a pre-trial conference Thursday as part of a deal with prosecutors, district attorney's office spokesman Omid Talai said.
The plea deal includes three years' probation, nine months of DUI classes, 10 days of community service and various fees and fines, Talai said.