Magic Johnson came out in support of his adorably flamboyant gay son this week, saying how proud he and his wife are of E.J., who was photographed this week on the arm of his boyfriend, wearing a fur coat and carrying a purse.
The former L.A. Lakers star told TMZ that he knew his son’s coming out would spark some controversy, especially from people in the black community who have since posted disparaging comments online. Johnson responded to the attacks in an interview with TMZ.
“What happens in our community, religion comes into play, so that’s when he’s going to be attacked,” Magic says. “But I don’t care who’s attacking my son. I’m gonna still love him still support him; he’s a good kid.”
Current Laker Kobe Bryant also expressed support, calling it a lesson for everyone and “awesome.”
- John Travolta’s lawyer lashed out at Gawker for alleging that the actor paid $84,000 to settle sexual assault claims, instead saying the money was "consistent with legal fees being paid in connection with the defense of lawsuits that were filed."
- Richie Sambora reportedly bailed from the Bon Jovi tour over an alleged “classic Jaggar/Richards blowup” with Jon Bon Jovi.
- Madonna’s daughter Lourdes is reportedly dating “Homeland” teen star Timothée Chalamet, who plays the vice president’s son.
- Christopher Abbot, resident “cute guy” on “Girls,” abruptly departed the show due to a reported ongoing feud with Lena Dunham.
- Sharon Osbourne will testify at the Michael Jackson wrongful death civil trial about knowledge she has about the AEG entertainment company.
- Actress Hayley Atwell (“Captain America”) is 31.
- Actor Tom Riley (“Da Vinci’s Demons”) is 32.
- Rapper Pharrell Williams is 40.
- Actress Krista Allen (“Baywatch Hawaii”) is 42.
- Judge Greg Mathis is 53.
- Actor Mitch Pileggi (“The X-Files”) is 61.
- Musician Agnetha Fältskog of ABBA is 63.
- Director Peter Greenaway (“The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover”) is 71.
- Statesman Colin Powell is 76.
- Director Roger Corman (“The Undead”) is 87.