Giants second baseman Marco Scutaro has a "mallet finger" but it may not force him to spend time on the disabled list.
The veteran met with a hand specialist Wednesday who evaluated the tendon damage in his finger after he was hit by a pitch in the seventh inning of Tuesday's game against the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Scutaro doesn't need surgery and it appears as though he will try and play through the pain. However, if Scutaro doesn't do the normal treatment which involves keeping the finger straight for four to six weeks, it could become permanently damaged. It's a risk, but one Scutaro may chose to play through.
"I want to play. I also want to have a good finger," Scutaro told Comcast SportsNet Bay Area. "I don't want to live with a finger like this."
Manager Bruce Bochy told reporters that Scutaro will take a few days to rest the injury, but could be available at some point this weekend against the Atlanta Braves. However, Bochy and the Giants ultimately will listen to Scutaro and how he's feeling moving forward.
"He's been around and is a veteran," Bochy told the San Jose Mercury News. "He's going to be smart about this."
The 37-year-old Scutaro is batting .332 with two home runs and 15 RBIs in 58 games.
Meanwhile, Major League Baseball suspended Bochy one game, which he served Wednesday, and reliever George Kontos for three games.
Kontos, who was optioned to Triple-A Fresno, will have to serve the suspension and pay an undisclosed fine when he is brought back to the major-league club. The penalty is for intentionally throwing at the Pittsburgh Pirates' Andrew McCutchen in the eighth inning of Tuesday's game at PNC Park.
Both teams had been issued a warning about throwing at each other earlier in the game by umpires.
The Giants brought back Sandy Rosario to take Kontos' place on the roster.
— Staff, wire report