A one-alarm fire in the Portola neighborhood last weekend not only uncovered an illegal marijuana operation, police said, it also led to the rescue of a neglected dog.
Firefighters responded to a property that houses apartments and a bottom-floor commercial unit in the 2700 block of San Bruno Avenue about 10:45 p.m. Saturday. While putting out the flames, police said, the Fire Department discovered the blaze was likely linked to electrical wiring that had been powering the lights of a marijuana grow facility in the bottom unit.
Firefighters alerted police officers who had been helping direct traffic on San Bruno.
“The officers examined the scene and located multiple hydroponic lights set up over numerous marijuana plants in various stages of growth within several rooms,” police at Ingleside Station said.
They also found an apparently neglected dog “cowering in a corner,” police said. The pooch was brought to Animal Care and Control for medical attention.
Police were able to determine the identity of the suspect responsible for the establishment. It’s not immediately known whether an arrest had been made.