A father, his 1-year-old daughter and child's grandfather were killed in a house fire in San Francisco's Parkside neighborhood early Friday morning, according to San Francisco Fire Department officials.
The fire reportedly broke out about 1:30 a.m. on the second-floor of the multi-unit building in the 1900 block of 18th Avenue.
The father, identified as 33-year-old Raymond Tse, was found dead in the garage, and the toddler, Chloe Tse, who was on the third-floor bathroom, died at the hospital, officials said. The child's mother managed to escape with minor injuries.
The child's grandfather, who was critically injured in the fire, succumbed to his injuries later Friday, fire spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said.
Fire Chief Joanne Hayes-White told the San Francisco Chronicle that the father had been sleeping in the garage because he was ill and didn’t want to make his daughter sick.
Investigators said the fire, which was brought under control at about 2 a.m., was accidental in nature and may have been caused by an electrical problem or smoking materials, although the exact cause has yet to be determined, Talmadge said.
She said the fire caused an estimated $225,000 in damage to the structure of the house and $75,000 to the property inside.
Bay City News contributed to this report.