Last week's massive explosion and fire in San Bruno caused nearly $38 million in damage to homes, property, and public infrastructure, a spokesman for the city said today.
The blast, which happened at about 6:15 p.m. Thursday when a gas pipeline ruptured, destroyed an estimated $31.25 million in homes and private property in the explosion area, said Burlingame police Capt. Mike Matteucci, a spokesman for the San Bruno explosion.
He said an additional estimated $6.66 million worth of public infrastructure, including streets, was destroyed in the explosion and fire, which killed four people and injured more than 50 others.
Matteucci said the damage estimates were rough assessments made by city building and planning officers as they walked through damaged or destroyed houses.
Thirty-seven homes have been destroyed, and 19 others have sustained substantial damage, city officials said.
PG&E, which owns the ruptured pipeline, has pledged up to $100 million to help the victims of the explosion and fire.
PG&E President Chris Johns said the company is planning to give up to $50,000 in "no strings attached" checks to households affected by the blast.