Dodgers accused of lax security in Bryan Stow attack 

click to enlarge Los Angeles Police Department officers patrol inside Dodger Stadium prior to the start of the baseball game between the St. Louis Cardinals and Los Angeles Dodgers on April 14, 2011 in Los Angeles, California. Large numbers of LAPD officers are being deployed as part of a zero tolerance policy toward misbehaving fans in response to the opening day attack on San Francisco Giants fan Bryan Stow. - KEVORK DJANSEZIAN/GETTY IMAGES
  • Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images
  • Los Angeles Police Department officers patrol inside Dodger Stadium prior to the start of the baseball game between the St. Louis Cardinals and Los Angeles Dodgers on April 14, 2011 in Los Angeles, California. Large numbers of LAPD officers are being deployed as part of a zero tolerance policy toward misbehaving fans in response to the opening day attack on San Francisco Giants fan Bryan Stow.

The Los Angeles Dodgers fired 300 security staff members before a Giants fan was badly beaten at a game last year, and the baseball team and its owner should face a lawsuit over the incident, the fan’s attorney said Wednesday.

Documents were slated to be filed Wednesday that show a lack of security contributed to the attack on Bryan Stow, according to Stow’s attorney, Thomas Girardi.

Stow was beaten nearly to death outside Dodger Stadium after the team’s Opening Day game March 31, 2011, against the Giants, which the Santa Cruz resident had traveled to Los Angeles to watch. He and his family have filed a lawsuit in California for negligence, but that case was put on hold by the team’s bankruptcy filing in June.

The team is now being auctioned and has attracted bids from some of the biggest names in business and sports, such as billionaire hedge fund manager Steve Cohen, ex-Yankees and Dodgers manager Joe Torre and basketball great Magic Johnson.

The Dodgers asked the bankruptcy court to dismiss the Stow case because Stow cannot show that security staffing caused his injuries.

Girardi said he has evidence that shows team owner Frank McCourt “made the decision to get rid of security” and planned to file those documents with Delaware’s bankruptcy court by the end of Wednesday.

The Delaware bankruptcy court will hold a hearing March 7 to decide if the Stow case can proceed in
California.

Earlier on Wednesday, Delaware bankruptcy Judge Kevin Gross approved a disclosure statement describing how the Dodgers will repay creditors and exit bankruptcy. Approval keeps the team on track to be sold and out of bankruptcy by the end of April.

Tags: ,

About The Author

Reuters

Pin It
Favorite

Speaking of News

Latest in Nation

Monday, Jul 25, 2016

Videos

Most Popular Stories

© 2016 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation