The Congressional Western Caucus, headed by Sen. John Barrasso, R-Wyo., and Rep. Rob Bishop, R-Utah, have just released a report titled “The War on Western Jobs.” From the report’s introduction:
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the West reported the highest regional jobless rate in August, at 10.8 percent. The western region has maintained the highest regional unemployment for the past year. At the same time, six of the top twelve states with the largest declines in the employment to population ratio since the recession began in 2007 are western states. According to The Associated Press Economic Stress Index, 3 of the top 5 states showing the most stress in June were western states: Nevada, California, and Arizona.
There’s a lot of reasons that job numbers are flagging in the West, but the purpose of the report is to identify the ways which Washington, D.C. is exacerbating the situation. “Instead of making it easier for western businesses and communities to create new jobs, this Administration enforced an anti-business, anti-multiple use agenda that only makes the situation worse,” said Barraso.To that end, the report focuses at 10 areas where the Obama administration is making things worse:
1. Taxing energy use
2. Federalizing all surface water within the 50 states and territories
3. Restricting access to America’s vast reserves of affordable, American oil and natural gas
4. Imposing “one size fits all” mandates on western communities
5. Putting a priority on protecting species over American jobs
6. Blocking a multiple-use policy in our National Forests
7. Over-regulating coal
8. Seizing additional private western lands and placing them under control of the federal government
9. Requiring new federal permitting requirements into new areas of the western economy
10.Stopping domestic mining in favor of the importation of foreign minerals
You download the report here.