Closing arguments scheduled in case against suspects in Louisiana tourist murder 

Closing arguments are scheduled for Tuesday in the case of four suspects arrested in connection with the murder of a Louisiana tourist in 2009, according to the District Attorney's Office.

The four suspects face murder charges related to the killing of Michael Bailey after one of the suspects met Bailey and two of his friends at a South of Market area nightclub and lured him back to Doublerock Street in the Alice Griffith housing project, an area known for gang activity.

Once there, the men were surrounded and robbed. The alleged gunman struck one of Bailey's friends in the head and when Bailey confronted him, he was fatally shot in the head.

William Jones, 25, of San Francisco, the suspected gunman, faces charges of murder with special circumstances, conspiracy to commit robbery, assault with a firearm, participation in a street gang, three counts of robbery and firearms possession.

Two of his alleged accomplices -- Maurice Lige, 22, who was a minor at the time of the incident; and Lance Molina, 27 -- face charges of murder with a gang enhancement, conspiracy to commit robbery, three counts of robbery and participation in a street gang.

Additionally, Ariel Kittles, 25, faces charges of murder, conspiracy to commit robbery and three counts of robbery.

Prosecutors said Kittles met Bailey and his friends at the nightclub and said she lost her keys inside. Bailey and his group offered her a ride home.

Bailey, of Baton Rouge, La., who was a married father of three and a senior studying electrical engineering at Southern University, was vacationing in San Francisco at the time.

Closing arguments in the case are scheduled for Tuesday at 1:30 p.m. in the Hall of Justice.

Mission robbery suspect arrested after standoff with SWAT back in court

The man who barricaded himself inside his Mission district residence last month after allegedly robbing someone at gunpoint will return to court next week, Assistant District Attorney Alex Bastian said.

Candido Rivas, 25, of San Francisco will be in court June 16 for a preliminary hearing.

Rivas is accused of robbing a man at gunpoint at 24th and Florida streets on May 28 before running into his own residence at 23rd and Shotwell streets. The victim reportedly saw the suspect run into his house.

After police arrived, Rivas refused to come out and the SWAT unit and hostage negotiation team were called out. After about four hours, Rivas surrendered to police.

Rivas faces charges of robbery and resisting arrest and in will be back in court June 16. He is presently in custody on $175,000 bail.

Rivas is alleged to have committed a previous strike in connection with a robbery in 2007, according to the criminal complaint.

Pin It
Favorite

Latest in Crime & Courts

Wednesday, Aug 24, 2016

Videos

Most Popular Stories

© 2016 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation