CCSF demonstrators ask city for aid as fate hangs in balance 

click to enlarge CCSF trustee Chris Jackson speaks Thursday at a rally calling for Prop. A funds to  be used to halt harsh cuts. - MIKE KOOZMIN/THE S.F. EXAMINER
  • Mike Koozmin/The S.F. Examiner
  • CCSF trustee Chris Jackson speaks Thursday at a rally calling for Prop. A funds to be used to halt harsh cuts.

On the eve of the deadline for officials at City College of San Francisco to turn in a report that could decide if the school remains in operation, students, faculty and community members made a last-ditch effort to urge leaders to save the ?institution they love.
Hundreds of students, staff and community members marched from the various CCSF campuses to City Hall to call on city leaders for ?assistance.
The college’s administration is expected to turn in the 290-page document, plus nearly 1,000 pages of appendices, on Friday to the accreditation panel to establish why City College should stay open. The document details the changes that have been made since the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges gave City College a harsh sanction last July.
The demonstration was attended by as many as 300 supporters who chanted that City College is “our college,” adding, “We are City College.”
Trustee Chris Jackson was present to show his support and to demand that voter-approved funds be spent as they were intended.
In November, after City College came under scrutiny, San Francisco voters approved Proposition A, a parcel tax measure that gives the school $16 million over the next eight years .
“When we passed a nine-year plan last board meeting to spend that money, the plan included a double reserve,” he said. “Who needs two reserves? Prop. A could be used to grow City College.”
Student Lalo Gonzalez  said the crisis at City College is not a ?financial one, but one of priorities.
“The administration refuses to use money as intended,” Gonzalez said. “City Hall has the responsibility to serve the people that voted for them. They need to give us Prop. A money now, then they need to go to the state and ask for more money.”
After the report is submitted, the accreditation board could take several measures, including closing the college or allowing the college to remain open, but continue to make changes. That decision is expected in June.
akoskey@sfexaminer.com

Pin It
Favorite

More by Andrea Koskey

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2016

Videos

Readers also liked…

Most Popular Stories

© 2016 The San Francisco Examiner

Website powered by Foundation