A lawyer for Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston says the Heisman hopeful is relieved he will not face charges in a sexual assault case and now even more focused on football.
Attorney Timothy Jansen said Thursday afternoon he had seen his client after the announcement and he was really happy. Jansen says Winston is absolutely innocent.
Earlier Thursday, State Attorney Willie Meggs said there was not enough evidence to pursue charges in the sex assault case against Winston. Meggs said the woman's memory lapses of the events last December were problematic. She told police she had been drinking before the alleged assault took place.
Winston will play in the ACC championship game on Saturday and if the Seminoles win, they'll play for the national title.
Accuser in Winston case releases brief statement
The woman who accused Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston of sexual assault says she worries her experience and how the case unfolded in the public eye will discourage rape victims from coming forward.
The victim and her family released a brief statement Thursday after State Attorney Willie Meggs told reporters he did not have enough evidence to charge Winston. Meggs says the woman's memory lapses about the events of last December were problematic.
The family said it appreciated the state attorney's investigation after what they called an "inordinate delay" by the Tallahassee Police Department. The family has been sharply critical of the police department, accusing the agency of discouraging the woman to proceed with the case against the quarterback.
The department has said it handled the case appropriately.