The San Francisco Marathon will bring a host of traffic impacts on city streets and transit Sunday. The marathon will begin at The Embarcadero and Mission at 5:30 a.m., with staggered starts until 6:30 a.m. The route will loop along The Embarcadero, through the Marina to the Golden Gate Bridge, south on Lincoln Boulevard, through Golden Gate Park and east to The Embarcadero and behind the ballpark.
Street closures (listed by area)
Golden Gate Bridge
- 1 to 10 a.m.: Access on bridge and Doyle Drive reduced by runners
- Midnight to 10 a.m.: Last northbound San Francisco exit, off Doyle Drive, closed; southeast parking lot closed
- Midnight to 10 a.m.: No access on first southbound exit after the toll plaza onto Merchant Road and no access into the Presidio
- Midnight to 10 a.m.: No access to Golden Gate Bridge through Presidio
- 4:30 to 10 a.m.: Lincoln Blvd. and all intersections onto Lincoln Blvd. from the 25th Ave. gate to Lendrum Ct. will be closed.
- 4:30 to 10 a.m.: Mason Street and all intersections onto Mason Street will be closed from the Marina Gate to Crissy Field Avenue.
- 4:30 to 10 a.m.: Crissy Field Avenue will be closed.
- 6 to 10 a.m.: 26th and 27th avenues from Fulton Street to Lake Street closed to through traffic
- 6 to 11:30 a.m.: North and south access through Golden Gate Park should use Great Highway, Kezar or 19th Avenue/Park Presidio
Upper Haight Street
- 6:30 to 11:30 a.m.: North and south access across Upper Haight Street should use Kezar Drive
Lower Haight Street
- 6:30 to 11:45 a.m.: North and south access across Lower Haight Street should use Steiner or Fillmore
Fisherman’s Wharf Closures
- 5 to 7:30 a.m.: On westbound Jefferson Street between Northpoint and Hyde, no vehicles will be allowed.
Third Street detour
- 7 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.: Impacted between 20th and 23rd streets. Southbound traffic should use 20th Street overpass to Pennsylvania Street to 23rd Street to Third Street. Northbound traffic should use 23rd Street to Pennsylvania Street to 20th Street to Third Street.
Although a section of The Embarcadero is closed, Fisherman’s Wharf is still accessible through other city streets.
- Midnight to 3 p.m.: Between Broadway and Harrison Street will be closed to vehicles. Use southbound Battery Street.
- 7 to 9:45 a.m.: Between Harrison and Third Street will be closed to traffic.
- 7 to 9:45 a.m.: Between Third Street and Harrison Street will be closed to traffic.
- Midnight to 3 p.m.: Between Harrison and Broadway Street will be closed to traffic.
- 5 a.m. to 7:30 a.m.: Between Broadway and Northpoint Street will be closed to traffic.
Metro lines: F-Market, K-Ingleside, T-Third, M-Ocean View, N-Judah
Bus lines: 1-California, 2-Clement, 5-Fulton, 6-Parnassus, 9-San Bruno, 10-Townsend, 12-Folsom/Pacific, 14-Mission, 18-46th Avenue, 19-Polk, 22-Fillmore, 24-Divisadero, 26-Valencia, 27-Bryant, 280-19th Avenue, 31-Balboa, 33-Stanyan, 37-Corbett, 38-Geary, 43-Masonic, 44-O’Shaughnessy, 48-Quintara, 49-Van Ness, 53-Southern Heights, 71-Haight/Noriega
Source: San Francisco Marathon