Not that her multitudes of fans and followers, or anyone, for that matter, is surprised, official reports are in: Amy Winehouse drank herself to death.
The Grammy-winning soul diva and poster girl for hard living died with empty vodka bottles in her room and lethal amounts of alcohol in her blood — more than five times the British drunken-driving limit, a British coroner ruled Wednesday.
According to The Associated Press, coroner Suzanne Greenaway gave a verdict of “death by misadventure,” saying the singer died of accidental alcohol poisoning when she resumed drinking after weeks of abstinence.
The 27-year-old, who for years fought a public battle with drug and alcohol problems, was found dead July 23 at her London home.
Her parents attended Wednesday’s hearing but did not speak to reporters. In a statement, spokesman Chris Goodman said it was a relief to the family “to finally find out what happened to Amy.”
“The court heard that Amy was battling hard to conquer her problems with alcohol and it is a source of great pain to us that she could not win in time,” he said.